By Dental Dimensions
June 17, 2014
Category: Mouth Care
Tags: Stained Teeth
Stained, discolored teeth are one of the most common complaints dentists hear from patients. Fortunately, it’s also one of the easiest dental problems to prevent and treat.
In most cases, you can prevent your pearly whites from turning dingy simply by controlling what you expose them to. Foods and drinks are common culprits, such as coffee, tea, juice, wine, soy sauce and blueberries. But it’s not just what you eat that can taint your smile. Tobacco—whether it is smoked or chewed—is one of the worst offenders of discolored teeth.
Not all stains are caused by bad habits and foods. Aging can also lead to yellowing of the teeth. As the enamel of the teeth wears thin, the underlying layer of yellowish dentin shows through.
Prevent Stained Teeth
- Keep teeth clean: Brush and floss every day—and immediately after eating or drinking—to remove plaque and other stain-causing debris that accumulates on the teeth.
- Choose foods and drinks wisely: Limit how often you drink tea, coffee and other dark foods and beverages. If you must indulge, do so in one sitting rather than sipping or snacking throughout the day. When drinking, use a straw to reduce your teeth’s exposure and minimize staining.
- Quit smoking: While easier said than done, smoking is a major cause of stained teeth. Stop now and you’ll not only save your teeth from turning yellow, but you will be doing your overall health a favor.
- Brush with whitening toothpaste: Whitening toothpastes won’t actually change the overall color of your teeth, but can be very effective at removing minor stains.
- Visit Dental Dimensions: Remember to schedule appointments with your dentist for a professional cleaning and check up every six months to keep your smile looking and feeling its very best.
Professional Whitening from Dental Dimensions
For dramatic, long-lasting teeth whitening results, your San Jose dentist may recommend professional in-office whitening. Professional teeth bleaching can remove unwanted stains to reveal your smile’s bright white in as little as a single appointment. A special whitening agent is applied to your teeth and activated by a light to accelerate the whitening process. This procedure is ideal for busy patients looking for immediate results and dramatically whiter teeth in just one or two appointments.
There’s no reason to be embarrassed by discolored teeth today. With proper care at home and professional options available from Dental Dimensions, you can reclaim your bright, white smile.